top of page


We're experienced working with planning offices and building control to get agricultural and industrial building's planning applications approved quickly and cost effectively. We can assist you through the entire process or just supply the drawings. We also have experience with garages and 'change of use' planning applications.

Screenshot 2021-01-20 153544.jpg

Do I need planning for my agricultural building?

Farmers can construct agricultural buildings without applying for planning permission if certain criteria are met. This is called a Permitted Development (Town and Country Planning General Development Order 1995).

However, you must still notify the Planning Authority and provide details relating to the building and its location, called an Application for Prior Notification of Proposed Agricultural or Forestry Development. Note: in a restricted area (e.g. area of outstanding natural beauty) you may be required to apply for full planning.



• Is your building on agricultural land and to be used for your agricultural business?

• If the building is used for livestock or slurry, is it within 400m of a building that is not your own?

• Is your holding more than 5 hectares (12.5 acres)? This includes non-adjoining and rented land.

• Is the land where the building be over a hectare (2.5 acres)?

How big can I build an agricultural building without applying for full planning?

A maximum of 465 sqm.

This is the maximum that you can apply for every 2 years under a Permitted Development e.g. a 265 sqm building leaves a 200 sqm allowance for another building over that 2 year period. Worth noting that hardstanding (e.g. concrete floor for cattle handling) counts towards this allowance.


What do we do?

We can help you with planning and Permitted Development applications. We also design structural steelwork for predominantly agricultural and industrial buildings. Please also see Fabricate and/or Install.

Where do we do it?

We may be able to help you wherever you are but we normally find ourselves designing steel framed buildings in Powys (Wales), Shropshire, Herefordshire, and Worcestershire.

Tel: 07785 426 823

Lower Camnant, Llaithddu, Newtown, Powys  SY16 4BS

bottom of page